I can’t believe your fickleness—how easily you have turned traitor to him who called you by the grace of Christ by embracing a variant message! It is not a minor variation, you know; it is completely other, an alien message, a no-message, a lie about God. Those who are provoking this agitation among you are turning the Message of Christ on its head. Let me be blunt: If one of us—even if an angel from heaven!—were to preach something other than what we preached originally, let him be cursed. I said it once; I’ll say it again: If anyone, regardless of reputation or credentials, preaches something other than what you received originally, let him be cursed. Gal 1:6-9
What variations are possible to the Message of Christ? Who is Paul instructing by God’s spirit that we curse?
1. Anyone who preaches any message that is not focused on Christ and his Cross. Did you hear about Christ and his Cross in church yesterday
2. Anyone who preaches any message where Christ is a means to an end! God will make you Rich! If you accept Jesus you will become prosperous! Jesus is the way to XYZ outside of God! If you want to live the kind of glorious life that this Church is living, if you want to become like one of these testifiers. Any Gospel that takes you to Jesus to lead you any other kind of life, is a variation!
3. Any gospel that says outside of faith in Jesus Christ, we still need to add some legalistic rituals to be saved. We are saved by faith, not of works lest any man should boast. Our faith allows us to identify with Christ as we are in him and he in us. He makes us disciples who disciple others.
4. Any inspirational, motivational, nationalistic or economic gospel that does not point to Christ as our highest ideal.
5. Any therapeutic gospel that makes us feel good by doing some things like paying tithe, making vows, working in church and really doing the little we do to feel at peace with God. Any Gospel that makes less than 100% surrender reasonable!
Any of these gospels leads to an end that makes the church unprepared for the final day! A day is coming brethren, a day God’s word calls great and terrible! For some it will be great, and for others it will be terrible. Don’t poison your soul, Christ is the only diet that makes us fit for that day! John 6:53-58 is quite instructive.