The narrative below was produced by Ewulotan Ayodeji Peter a participant in the Full Gospel Business Men Fellowship of 17th March, 2010, the Aqua Chapter. I had the privilege of sharing my testimony and perspectives with them. I believe some people were blessed, here is hoping that this narrative would be valuable to you as well.
He is a distinguished engineering graduate from OAU who opted to pursue his passion (human development) rather than the course he studied. He was fortunate to have given his life to Christ very early in life, a decision that turned him to a young billionaire (He was a Youth Corper 10years ago). His major turning point in life started when he went for a retreat out of passion for God…….before the commencement of the meeting he prayed that God should distinguish him in life (he wanted to be different, ….God set me apart)
He was surprised at God’s response …….God told him it is not my job to make you different ….that he would not need Him (God) to be different…. that the decision and effort must come from him (Deolu) to be a different person i.e. you have to first draw near to God for God to draw near to you …..like the saying ‘Heaven only helps those who help themselves’. ‘When I see you make a move then I God will back you up.
He resigned his job after 4 year with Procter and Gamble because he planned not to work for another man for more than 5 years, he had a focus and a plan. He wanted to learn for 4yrs and reevaluate.
He said …..
• No wind blows in favor of a ship without direction you must know clearly what you want to do and where you are going ….then, the wind can blow in your favor…….
• His letter of resignation in 2005 read thus “what bound us together in the last 4 years was our mutual quest for success that mutual quest for success is the reason we have to be apart …..I think because I want to succeed I can no longer stay in this environment and because you want to succeed you can no longer continue to habour me. A voice led me here 4yrs ago and the same voice is leading me on. It was worth all the 4 years while I was with you and I am sure the future will be worth it”
- He took his steps only as God directed him
- After resignation he had many offers but he choose the riskiest offer because God directed him to go for it ….he later mapped out his plans and resigned to start his own business.
- It was difficult he felt like going back to work but now he doesn’t feel that way anymore.
- In starting your own business …he said you might not succeed as long as you have choice (i.e. if you have something to fall back to or something you are doing in case the biz fails).
- Never give up when you fail …..dig to the bottom of the well and if you don’t get water go and dig another well. That was how Isaac prospered
- God did not design you to serve another man for life but you should learn from them.
- As the children of God we are supposed to be the most instructed person in the world because we have the Holy Spirit and the word of God as our perfect guide.
- Firing must Happen either you want it or not! It is either your boss fires you or you fire your boss.
- Findings revealed the following puzzling figures about employees
Out of 100 employees 54% of them are broke and dependent at 65 years
16% are still working at/above age 65 for various reason like age falsification, contract extension etc
24% are dead at or before age 65 (some start dying after retirement)
4% are independent …..just comfortable
1% are totally free financially with capability to leave fortunes behind
Wisdom simply defined.
- Wisdom is preparing for the future today i.e. living for the future or building your future today at all cost; wisdom is ability to see beyond tomorrow, frame what you want your future to look like and fight to achieve it. e.g. giving your children the best of life, go for holiday in Paris, Dubai, give so much to help others, drive the best car, houses etc
- Examples of the definition;
- go to the ants and be wise ….without a guide they provide food in summer, because winter won’t allow them work ….. proverbs 6:6-7.
- 10 virgins: 5 were foolish and 5 were wise (note! they are all wonderful ladies – virgins!)…. The wise ones took today extra oil for the future while the foolish took oil for only today.
- A man who rose from lowest level (trainee) to become MD/CEO of the same company after 30years said he regretted not starting his own business.
- No man or organization deserves 30 years of your life.
- Wise people don’t live in the now ….they leave an inheritance for their children’s children.
- Why can’t we take step to fire our boss and be our own boss? The reason is fear.
- If you stop what you are doing today that does not mean the end of your life.
- Ask yourself that if you fire your boss and your plans fail what is the worst thing that can happen? what will you do? Answer the question e.g. opt to drive your car for commercial purposes, start a farm…
- So just confront and conquer your greatest fear and step to the future you desire
- Thomas Watson said ‘to double my success rate I simply double my failure rate’
- Only when we are no longer afraid do we really begin to live.
- Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm
- Don’t stop after every failure, don’t let failure score the last goal on you.
- Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Author: Helen Keller
- There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity. Author: General Douglas MacArthur
- No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person. Author: Willa Cather
- Better be despised for too anxious apprehensions, than ruined by too confident security. Author: Edmund Burke
- Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature or do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. Author: Helen Keller
- If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability. Author: Henry Ford
- In no direction that we turn do we find ease or comfort. If we are honest and if we have the will to win we find only danger, hard work and iron resolution. Author: Wendell L. Willkie
- It’s an old adage that the way to be safe is never to be secure … Each one of us requires the spur of insecurity to force us to do our best. Author: Harold W. Dodds
- Why are you looking for security from an employer when he (the employer, the entrepreneur) is not secured
- You don’t really need many things you think you need
- God created you with gifts to benefit mankind don’t hide it under the ‘security’ of employment.
- Death is not the greatest loss in life but what dies inside of us while we are living.